Due to the advanced technology and the ongoing pandemic, one thing that gained popularity over time is Live streaming. Now that we are halfway through the period of uncertainties and ‘staying at home,’ live streaming has become the first preference of global organizations. However, if this word still sounds alien to you, don’t worry!
This blog talks about everything you need to know regarding live streaming. Read on to know.
What is live streaming?
The process of streaming video content on the internet in the real-time of being filmed is known as live streaming. A bit similar to TV, live streaming requires stable internet connectivity, a suitable platform, and a live streaming platform. Contrary to pre-recorded streaming, the content of live streaming is raw and unfiltered. Live streams can either be private or open to all. Live streams conducted over social media platforms are generally public. On the contrary, if you want to join live-streaming conducted over platforms like zoom and skype, you will need an id and a password. These platforms allow the hosts to talk with the attendees.
Live Streaming vs Live Broadcasting-
Many people get confused between live streaming and live broadcasting. The confusion generally arises from the fact that both formats have a similarity when it comes to the technology they use, and that is streaming videos through the internet. The most prominent difference between both formats lies in the delivery of content and audience engagement. Where the live streaming features intend attendees’ engagement, it isn’t the case with live broadcasting.
What are the benefits of live streaming?
Next, we have discussed some advantages of live streaming-
Live Streaming attracts larger audiences
The biggest and the foremost advantage of live streaming is that they come without restrictions that a physical event would generally come with. In general, web events are accessible beyond physical confinements and geographical barriers, and people from any corner of the world can attend them. No matter what part of the world your audience comes from, they can still be a part of your event, given they have the necessary equipment and secure internet connectivity. It means virtual events allow you to have more audience than a physical event would ideally attract.
Live Streaming Prioritizes Your Content Based on the Urgency
Conducting live streaming for social media platforms has its benefits. If you take it to live streaming to deliver your content for single-time use, chances are it may come up as an urgent entity across people. The main thing you need to take care of is people don’t like to see repeated content. No matter how intriguing your content is, your audience will, over time, lose interest in it if you are delivering the same content to them. But if your content is available just for the moment, it will definitely see a high audience engagement.
Live streaming offers real-time engagement
One of the biggest reasons organizations prefer live streaming over pre-recorded events is real-time engagement. Said to be one of the most substantial ways of increasing the audience reach of your brand, live streaming offers various opportunities for the attendees to interact with the speaker directly. This feature of live streaming ensures more attendees attend your virtual event and enhances your brand reach among the masses. Apart from providing real-time engagement between the hosts and their potential customers, live streams also allow the organizers to conduct live Q&A sessions and live polls and extend live support.
Live Streaming is not over popular
The reason companies should consider conducting live streaming is it is not over-popular yet. Not many organizations are aware of the benefits that live streaming offers and, hence, they prefer other virtual events over live streams. Though many social media pages are widely conducting live streamings on Facebook and other platforms, it still stands far away from being utilized as a mode to host events. Utilize this fact to deliver your event to the masses before it gets too crowded there.
Virtual Streaming is Cheaper
Another prominent advantage that live streaming offers over other kinds of virtual events is that it is cheap. Not even relatively less expensive; live streams are kind of free. You can host a regular live stream over social media also. If you’re planning on hosting live streaming on Instagram, all you need is an Instagram account and a stable internet connection. Unlike traditional events that demand a virtual event platform, live streams are cost-effective and don’t leave you with a hole in your pocket. Where you need to take care of many if’s and but’s, live streams are a matter of just a click; quite literally.
Live Streams Allow You to Utilise your content in more than one way
If you wish to host live streaming on Instagram and save it on your feed to make it available for people to see it further, live streams make it possible for you to do so. Apart from that, you can also use the live-streamed video in the form of other content. You can make snippets of the video and upload them on your brand’s social media channels. Since it will always be available on your feed, people can visit it whenever they want, boosting the reach of your message.
How to prepare for live streaming?
Step-1: Not an event without proper planning
First thing’s first. No matter if your event is live or pre-recorded, you need to prepare for it. The benefits of preparing well don’t need special attention, but to explain in simple words, staying well-prepared beforehand will save you from a lot of blunders and make it a seamless process for you. Right from choosing a subject to selecting your target audience, plan everything so that it doesn’t cause you last-minute trouble. Apart from these things, decide an appropriate date and time for your live streaming. Also, remember, you’re hosting the event, not for yourself but the audience; hence, it goes without saying that you should plan everything keeping their comfort as your priority.
Step 2: Select the suitable virtual event platform
Now that you’ve planned the theme, date, and time of your event, it’s time to move ahead to the next step. Select a suitable virtual event platform to conduct your live stream. The platform you’re selecting depends on various factors, such as price, features, the scale of your event, and other specifications. If you wish to keep your streaming low scale, you can host live streaming over Instagram or other social media platforms. On the other hand, if you are targeting a wider audience, you can select various live streaming service providers like Dreamcast.
Step 3: Consider appropriate equipment
When it comes to choosing the equipment for your live streaming, a few things are pretty standard, like the camera. The device you’re selecting for your live streaming should have a well-functioning web camera. If you’re planning to attend the live streaming with a mobile phone, make sure you use a tripod. Other than that, if you want to enhance your sound quality, use a microphone. It will cancel out the background noise and make you sound more professional.
Step 4: Promote your event effectively
Now that you’re all set for your event, it’s time to spread the word. All your planning and efforts can go in vain if you don’t have enough attendees at your live stream. Don’t leave any stone unturned when it comes to promoting your virtual event. Create a web page and a social media page for your event and add all relevant information there. It will enable your audience to get all the information in one place. Use your social media presence efficiently in the marketing of your upcoming event. You can also hire paid media strategists and use traditional media for the branding of your event.
Step 5: Host a rehearsal session
Before the main day, make sure you perform a dry run. There’s a reason for everything, and so does rehearsal.. To make sure you don’t feel embarrassed in front of all your dignitaries and attendees, conduct a rehearsal session beforehand. Include all your speakers and introduce the basic technicalities so that they don’t feel any difficulties while joining the event.
Step 6: Collect Post-Event Analytics
Once your live stream gets over, make sure you go through all the event analytics. The most prominent advantage that virtual events have is that they allow you to collect real-time event analytics. This data enables you to have detailed information on your attendees’ engagement at the live stream. The reason it holds great importance is that the organizers can use the data to analyze their strategies. It allows them to know which planning worked for them and which could be executed better. Various live streaming platforms provide you with the feature of post-event analytics and enhance your experience.
Various Live Streaming Platforms-
Here are different platforms that you can choose from depending on the type of your live streaming-
- Dreamcast- A promising live streaming platform, Dreamcast allows you to conduct live streaming in a very seamless way. This platform allows streaming over the multi-content delivery network that makes sure your content reaches the maximum audience. Dreamcast lets the organizers host a 2-way video conferencing that enhances the attendees’ experience altogether. Be it corporate live streaming or any other kind of event, you can always count on Dreamcast for giving the perfect execution to your ideas.
- YouTube Live- Apart from enabling people to upload their recorded content and share it with the world, YouTube offers another impressive feature, which is YouTube Live. It permits the users to share real-time content with the world and comes with various engaging features such as live chat and other notable features. The facts and features that empower it to stand from the crowd are live communication tools and catch on various on-demand live videos. For live streaming on YouTube, all you need is a youtube account, which almost everyone has. You can use it for several purposes, like live streaming for education and so on.
- Facebook Live- Another effective live streaming platform, Facebook Live allows users to share real-time content with their friends and followers. Used by many celebrities and groups, with Live streaming on Facebook, you can have real-time communication with your followers. The reason people prefer it for corporate live streaming is that it is cost-free and lets the users have real-time engagement. It enables them to know the attendees response during the live stream, and notifies the audience that enhances brand reach.
- LinkedIn Live- LinkedIn Live allows the user to connect with the professional community across the world. It enables the user to get approx 7 times more reactions and 24 times more comments than a pre-recorded video. This data shows that live streaming on LinkedIn is a great way to increase your brand reach and audience engagement.
What are some tips and best practices for live streaming?
Here are some tips that you can inculcate in your live streaming to make it a memorable experience for you and your audience-
- Keep your live streaming minimal. Including too many features means there will be more chances of malfunctioning, something you would never want to happen.
- Play smart by always keeping a backup plan. Emergencies come invited, and having a plan B will invariably save you from getting embarrassed in front of your attendees.
- Since there are no retakes in live streaming, ensure your audio and video are working perfectly. Make sure you place your lighting sources accordingly and use microphones to keep the background noises minimum. Wear clothes that go perfectly with the occasion and are not too flashy for live streaming.
- They say it right, ” Proper preparation prevents poor performance.” Doing that extra round of preparation can never go wrong. Perform a test run before your main day. Check if the internet is working accurately or not, also make some keynotes that will ensure you don’t miss out on anything. Even though it is a live event, planning it will make it a lot easier for you.
- Live events are a great way to increase audience engagement and enhance your brand reach, given there are features that keep the attendees hooked to the event. To ensure your attendees don’t regret signing up for the event and find your live streaming interesting, include features like Q&A sessions and live polls. These characteristics of your live stream will make your audience feel involved and make your virtual event more effective.
- No matter how prepared you are, everything comes down to the live streaming platform that you have chosen for your event. Saying the success of your virtual event depends on the live streaming service provider won’t be untrue. Hence, compare two-three options while choosing the live streaming platform.
- Though it is always good to keep in mind that practice leads to perfection, you should also not forget that it is okay to make mistakes. If mistakes happen try to handle them with a punch; it will connect you with your audience.
We hope this blog has cleared all your doubts regarding live streaming. If you’re looking forward to hosting one, book a demo with Dreamcast now!